Sunday, February 12, 2006

J Dilla R.I.P. / The Beatnuts



One of the greatest producers ever, Jay Dee aka J Dilla, passed away this week, days after the release of his album Donuts on Stones Throw. He worked, performed and produced throughout his illness and up until the end. He will be greatly missed but never forgotten.



I'm off to the Red Devil in a couple of hours to check out the Beatnuts for the first time since they toured with Organized Konfusion and Common Sense (yeah he was still Common Sense and I got my "Resurrection" t-shirt that night). Show is sold out, a little surprising for a Sunday night.


DJ Marz portrait by yours truly

The Gurp City Art Show and Concert was epic! Big thanks to DJ Marz for a huge and successful event. Unfortunately Serg gurped out at midnight (festivities started at 2 pm!) and we missed Eddie K and Baldhead Rick. The new Eddie K material is dope ("OOOOooh!"), do not sleep on it.

Spindig was really fun last Friday night. The Chief Enablers rocked it--and saved my favorite song for last, "Are You Online?" Funny stuff. Don't miss next month's on Friday, March 10. It's my birthday party with special guest DJ Charlotte the Baroness. The homie Matt Sonzala SoReal will be in the house and we'll be heading over to Studio Z right after at 9:00 for this:



Please come out and celebrate my 44th, yes 44th, birthday with me. Then, it's on to Austin for SXSW 2006. Can't stop, won't stop.

No comments: